Mandaluyong police OIC, 10 cops sacked for ‘mistaken identity’ shooting » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia
  • Home Category
  • Metro
  • Mandaluyong police OIC, 10 cops sacked for ‘mistaken identity’ shooting

Mandaluyong police OIC, 10 cops sacked for ‘mistaken identity’ shooting

Updated

By Madelynne Dominguez

The officer-in-charge of the Mandaluyong Police and 10 policemen were immediately relieved from their posts due to a “mistaken shooting” incident that killed two people and injured two others in Mandaluyong City, Thursday night.

NCRPO Regional Dir. Gen Oscar Albayalde, talsk to the 10 memebrs of the Mandaluyong Police after getting invovled in a misencounter along Shaw Blvd, Decemebr 29 2017, that resulted tot he death of 2 individuals. According to investigation, a woman, identified as Jocelyn Ambaon, was shot in Addition Hills earlier that night, and the men in the vehicle brought the woman and her companions into their vehicle in an attempt to A barangay watchman or tanod followed them, thinking they were involved in the shooting, and relayed the same information to the police. The miscommunication appeared to have led to the shootout. (Mark Balmores)

NCRPO Regional Dir. Gen Oscar Albayalde reprimands the 10 Mandaluyong policemen involved in a ‘mis-encounter’ on Shaw Blvd. on December 29 2017 that resulted in the death of two persons. (Mark Balmores)

Director Oscar Albayalde, chief of the National Capital Region Police Office said Mandaluyong officer-in-charge Chief of Police Moises Villaceran was sacked and will be investigated for command responsibility.

Also removed from their posts were S/Insp. Maria Cristina Vasquez , PO2 Nel Songalia, PO1 Jave Arrellano, PO1 Tito Danao, PO1 Bryan Nicolas, PO1 Julius Libuyen, PO1 Mark Castillo, PO1 Alberto Buag , PO1 Kim Tinbusay, and PO1 Alfred Urbe . They were disarmed and placed under restrictive custody.

The barangay tanods who initially fired their guns on the victims are also subject to investigation.

Reports showed that policemen and village guards (barangay tanod) opened fire on a white vehicle they thought was a getaway vehicle of a shooting suspect.

The incident occurred around past 10 p.m. at the corner of Shaw Boulevard and Old Wack Wack.

The suspected “getaway car” was in fact used to bring the shooting victim Jonalyn Ambaan to the hospital. Ambaan earlier tried to intervene in an argument when an LPG delivery man shot her at 10:20 p.m.

Ambaan and her companion Jomar Hayawon were unfortunately killed in the hail of gunfire from the cops and barangay tanods.

Director Albayalde, said they will investigate the incident to determine if there was a violation of the Police Operational Procedure and the rules of engagement among policemen.

The policemen involved will all undergo a paraffin test and ballistic test to determine who fired a shot and are responsible for the death of two people.
Albayalde said the policemen involved in the incident stood by their story that they were “misinformed” that everyone on board the Mitsubishi Adventure were armed.

The policemen involved in the incident are now under the custody of the Regional Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Related Posts