Davao City to relocate residents from hazard areas » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

Davao City to relocate residents from hazard areas

Published

By Yas D. Ocampo and Nonoy E. Lacson

Davao City — Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio said the city government would start in January next year the relocation of residents living in hazard areas affected by Tropical Storm Vinta last week.

Duterte said the city government’s Housing Office is collating information on the families affected by the flood.

Offices under the City Mayor’s Office, particularly the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO), were already posting notices to residents to evacuate their homes.

During the floods last week, water levels rose roof-high under the Gov. Generoso Bridge when water from the Davao River spilled over nearby residential areas.

Floods also displaced thousands of homes around the city, including homes along the Davao River.

Upstream, at least 150 houses were swept by the swelling tributaries from waters coming from other water systems during the height of the tropical storm.

The city has allocated P83.4 million in quick response funds for cash, food, and non-food assistance for the roughly 20,000 families affected by the floods.

Some P3.5 million was allocated for the 357 families whose homes were assessed as totally damaged in cash assistance worth P10,000 each.

A total of P19,310 families affected by the floods will receive P3,000 each in cash assistance.

Food assistance worth P16.7 million will be distributed to the evacuees, while the city has also invested in non-food items worth P1.5 million.

Elsewhere in the city, volunteers have come together to repack donations given to the city government by charitable institutions and other donors.

Repacking has been ongoing in several parts of the city, with operations ongoing round the clock in sites such as City Hall, Sangguniang Panlungsod, and the Task Force Davao headquarters in Sta. Ana Wharf.

Operations would then be moved and centralized at the Sta. Ana Wharf when the city government needs to resume normal operations.

ARMM assistance

ZAMBOANGA CITY — Thousands of families affected by floods and landslides in Lanao del Sur are receiving assistance from the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) government after the onslaught of Tropical Storm Vinta in the region.

ARMM Governor Mujiv Hataman said a total of 1,442 families in the municipalities of Balindong and Tugaya, received relief goods from the ARMM’s Humanitarian and Emergency Action Response Team on Wednesday, December 27.

Hataman led the distribution of the relief goods in Balindong, which consists of rice, corned beef, sardines, and 3-in-1 coffee. Balindong and Tugaya were among the hardest hit in Lanao del Sur of Tropical Storm Vinta

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Related Posts