None of the weapons seized from Marawi City and destroyed this week showed any sign that they came from military stocks, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Gen. Rey Leonardo Guerrero said Friday.
“As for the (seized Maute Group) firearms inventoried so far, we are still to see any weapon (serial numbers) matching those in the inventory of the AFP,” Guerrero said in Filipino when asked during a press briefing in Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City whether AFP weapons were found among the terrorists’ arms cache.
More than 1,000 firearms of various calibers and types were seized by government forces in the battle to liberate Marawi City.
The battle began when government troops tried to arrest Abu Sayyaf leader and ISIS “emir” in Southeast Asia, IsnilonHapilon, last May 23.
Fighting was declared after authorities confirmed the death of Hapilon and Maute Group co-founder, Omar Maute, last October 23.
Some 652 weapons were taken to the Army headquarters in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City, to be destroyed ceremonially early this week.
The remaining 400 are still being processed as of this posting.