PH plans to sue Sanofi over dengue vaccine — Duque » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

The Nation's Leading Newspaper

Monday, December 11, 2017 26° Partly sunny

PH plans to sue Sanofi over dengue vaccine — Duque

Published

By Agence France-Presse

The Philippines intends to sue Sanofi after authorities suspended the pharmaceutical giant’s anti-dengue vaccine in response to the company warning the drug could lead to severe infections in some cases, Health Secretary Francisco Duque said Thursday.

Regulators froze the Philippines’ world-first public dengue immunization program last week and suspended all sales of the vaccine on Monday after Sanofi said Dengvaxia could worsen symptoms for vaccinated people who contracted the disease for the first time.

“Eventually it’s the court of law that is going to decide in so far as the liability of Sanofi is concerned,” Duque said on ABS-CBN television.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III  (AP Photo/Aaron Favila / MANILA BULLETIN)

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III
(AP Photo/Aaron Favila / MANILA BULLETIN)

The previous administration of president Benigno Aquino launched the vaccination program last year, making the Philippines the first nation to use Dengvaxia on a mass scale.

About 830,000 schoolchildren had received at least one dose of the vaccine, Duque said on Thursday. Previously the government said more than 733,000 people had been vaccinated.

Sanofi’s announcement last week caused great concern in the Philippines — where the mosquito-borne disease is extremely prevalent.

The French company on Monday sought to allay concerns, saying Dengvaxia would not cause anyone who was immunized to die and would not cause a dengue infection.

However, Duque said Thursday Sanofi’s recent statements on Dengvaxia were “confusing.”

Duque said he may ask Sanofi to refund P1.4 billion ($27.6 million) worth of unused Dengvaxia supplies.

He added the government might also demand Sanofi set up an “indemnity fund” to cover the hospitalization cost for children vaccinated under the public program who would fall ill.

Sanofi was not immediately available to comment on Duque’s remarks.

Asked if the government would sue Sanofi if allegations of a lack of transparency were proved, Duque said: “I’m sure it’s going to get there.”

He added: “If it’s found out that (Sanofi) withheld material information that would have changed the outcome of all of these problems and the decision makers of the Department of Health in the previous administration, then they are liable.”

Duque said congressional hearings into the issue would start next week.

 

Tags: , , ,

Related Posts

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.