By Floro L. Mercene
An expatriate, who will remain anonymous, recently told this columnist that most Filipino males are “mama’s boys.”
A mama’s boy is a grown male still dependent on his mother, who allows or desires his mother to control most aspects or decisions of his life for him.
This expat said this state of affairs is bad “because in the long run, you will depend on people like us to run your country.”
Is this why our government agencies cannot seem to function well, like the LRT, the LTFRB, LTO, and many others?
At the time he told me this revelation, Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III was at the country’s helm along with DILG Secretary Mar Roxas and DOTC Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya.
This is not to cast aspersions on these personalities. There are probably many mama’s boys in the current administration, too.
It’s common knowledge that Noynoy always deferred to his mother Cory Aquino, while Judy Roxas Araneta dictates many of Mar’s activities. Abaya seems a likely candidate for mama’s boy, once seen being shielded from the sun by a factotum with a large umbrella.
Here’s a test to find out if you are a mama’s boy or not:
- You call your mother every single day.
- No matter how old you are, you still strive to make your mom proud.
- You find it extremely difficult to stand up to your mom.
- You always talk to mom about your love life.
- You still love to make your mom things, even though you left elementary school years ago.
- You have to speak with your mother before making any decision.
- Whenever you eat someone else’s food you have to comment that your mom’s dish is way better.
- Although you’re a grown man, you still whine to your mother.
- You let your mom draft a list of rules for your potential partner.
- If anyone disrespects your mom you’re ready to get into a full-on fist fight.
- You probably still live with your mom.
- You definitely put your mom before your significant other.