Guam stays calm, dismisses North Korea threat » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

Guam stays calm, dismisses North Korea threat

Published

By Agence France-Presse

Guam Governor Eddie Calvo downplayed North Korea’s threat to attack his Pacific island state but said the US territory was “prepared for any eventuality” in a televised speech Wednesday as tensions escalate in the region.

(AFP / MANILA BULLETIN)

(AFP / MANILA BULLETIN)

US President Donald Trump threatened North Korea with “fire and fury” over its nuclear ambitions on Tuesday. Pyongyang raised the stakes just hours later, saying it was considering missile strikes near US strategic military installations on Guam.

Read more: Trump warns North Korea of ‘fire and fury’

In a televised address, Calvo said Guam was working with Washington “to ensure our safety.

“I want to reassure the people of Guam that currently there is no threat to our island or the (neighbouring Northern) Marianas,” he said.

“I spoke to Joint Region Marianas Commander Rear Admiral Shoshana Chatfield who confirmed this with me.”

Guam, home to about 6,000 US troops, is strategically located midway between the Korean Peninsula and the South China Sea and houses two US military installations — the Andersen Air Force Base and the Naval Base Guam.

It was described by President Barack Obama’s defense secretary Ashton Carter as “an important strategic hub for the US military in the Western Pacific”.

Calvo said there were “several levels of defense” strategically placed to protect Guam and he had been assured by the White House that a strike on the territory would be considered an attack on the United States.

“They have said that America will be defended. I also want to remind national media that Guam is American soil and we have 200,000 Americans in Guam and the Marianas. We are not just a military installation.

“With that said, I want to ensure that we are prepared for any eventuality.”

On the streets of Guam capital Hagatna, there was a sense of calm.

“It’s not like there’s anything we can do anyway. This is a small island. There’s nowhere to run to,” resident James Cruz said AFP.

Madeleine Bordallo, Guam’s delegate to Congress, said North Korea’s nuclear capabilities were “deeply troubling,” but she was confident the island was safe and protected.

Read more: North Korea threatens missile strike near US territory Guam

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Related Posts

  • tarikan

    “I want to reassure the people of Guam that currently there is no threat to our island or the (neighbouring Northern) Marianas,” Gov. Calvo said.
    YFDL – Young Fat Dear Leader of NoKor already said that he will nuke your island to kingdom come and still there is no threat? Do something! At least dig your own graves this early. Imagine your bodies will rot all over the place. Okay if Guam is wiped out of the map and go under water. At least the fishes would be happy.

    • David Smith

      Your are an idiot.

      • tarikan

        Thank you Buddy! Same to you. Btw, what is the other option for the Guamers if the shayt hits the fan, swim to HII? It’s a long haul. Maybe to the PH, much nearer.