By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
President Duterte has signed Executive Order (EO) No. 28 which provides for the regulation and control of the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices.
Based on the copy of the EO provided by the Palace to the media, the President signed EO 28 on June 20 and shall take effect immediately.
Under the EO, the use of firecrackers will be confined to community fireworks display to minimize the risk of injuries and casualties.
Data from the Department of Health (DOH), the agency which drafted the said EO, the total number of firecracker-related injuries from December 21, 2016 to January 5, 2017 is 32 percent lower than what was recorded in the same period last year.
DOH reported a total of 630 firecracker-related injuries during the said period–292 cases or 32 percent less compared to the same period last year.
Based on the EO, a display of fireworks qualifies as a community fireworks display if it is conducted on the occasion or as part of a celebration, competition, or similar event held in a venue other than a place of residence.
Aside from the given condition, a community fireworks display will also be conducted under the supervision of a trained person duly licensed by the Philippine National Police (PNP).
A community fireworks display would also have to be allowed by the municipality or city concerned through a permit specifying the date and tame of the display and the specific area where it will be conducted, in conformity with national standards, rules, and regulations.
Pyrotechnic devices other than firecrackers may be used outside community fireworks displays subject to existing laws, rules, and regulations.
Tags: Department of Health, DOH, Duterte signs EO regulating the use of firecrackers pyrotechnics, EO 28, executive order, firecrackers, fireworks, Manila Bulletin, Philippine National Police, PNP, pyrotechnic devices, regulation and control use