By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
The number of firecracker-related injuries recorded during the New Year revelry is 40 percent lower compared to last year’s celebration, the Department of Health reported.
Assistant health secretary Eric Tayag, in his Twitter account, said the DOH has monitored a total of 524 firework- and firecracker-related injuries as of 6:00 a.m. of Monday, January 2.
This, he said, is 40 percent lower than the 874 cases recorded during the same period last year.
No deaths were recorded, according to Tayag.
He added that 82 percent or 426 of the total number are male, while 55 percent or 284 of the total are children below 15 years old.
Tayag also reported that 34 percent or 177 are victims of the illegal firecracker piccolo, while 98 individuals or 19 percent sustained eye injuries.
DOH also recorded three victims of firecracker ingestion.