By Tara Yap and Francis Wakefield
Thousands were affected by flooding caused by tropical storm Marce as the weather disturbance passed over parts of Visayas and Mindanao on Friday, November 25.
In the Panay island provinces of Aklan, Antique, Capiz and Iloilo, as many as 6,650 persons were temporarily displaced by floods, said Office of Civil Defense (OCD-6) regional director Rosario Cabrera.
OCD-6 chief of operations Joseph Paul Nogra said the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC-6) is still assessing the damages caused by Marce.
The Iloilo Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported that a fishing boat capsized in Concepcion town but no one was hurt.
A 51-year-old man in Barotac Viejo, Iloilo, meanwhile, reportedly died after stepping on a live electric wire in the middle of the rain.
The Philippine Coast Guard already lifted travel suspension and inter-island vessels and ferries were able to resume operations.
In Central Visayas and Mindanao’s Caraga region, as many as 637 families or 2,959 individuals were preemptively evacuated, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported.
No casualty or death has so far been reported in the two regions.
Marce was last seen at 335 km west of Calapan, Oriental Mindoro and is expected to exit the country as early as Sunday.
But it will induce rains that will affect over much of Luzon.