By Anthony Giron
Trece Martires City, Cavite – Cases of dengue fever in the entire province of Cavite in the first ten months of the year dropped by 55 percent compared with the same period last year.
The Provincial Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (PESU) Morbidity Week 42 report or the period covering from Jan. 1 to Oct. 26, 2016 showed 3,972 cases and 20 deaths.
A total of 8,742 cases were recorded in the first ten months of 2015, and 12,007 cases and 48 deaths for the entire year.
The provincial government then declared a province-wide dengue outbreak and placed the province under a state of calamity in September last year.
General Trias City had the most number of cases with six deaths and 491 cases, followed by Silang with five fatalities and 449 cases, and Bacoor City, with two deaths and 403 cases.
Imus City, the province’s capital, had 477 cases but no deaths were reported.
Health Education Promotion Officer II Annabelle Dilig said that there is no need to declare dengue outbreak in any seven cities and 16 municipalities.
Dilig said the PHO along with regional and national health authorities are likewise monitoring cases of Zika and chikungunya virus infection.
Dilig reported that the chikungunya outbreak in upland Indang municipality has been lifted last month.