ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Sept. 14, 2017) » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

The Nation's Leading Newspaper

Sunday, September 24, 2017 29° Partly cloudy

ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Sept. 14, 2017)

Updated

2 hurt in QC fire

Two people were injured while at least 30 families were rendered homeless when a fire broke out along Litex Road, Barangay Commonwealth, Quezon City Thursday afternoon.

Investigators  said that Jocelyn Quadrante, and 19-year old Johnmar Sola suffered lacerations in their lower leg and left foot.

PSupt. Manuel Manuel, Bureau of Fire Protection-Quezon City (BFP-QC) chief, said that the fire started at the second floor of a house owned by Sonny Sinco at Purok 12 around 2:07 p.m.

The fire that reached the third alarm status razed at least 30 houses which were made of light materials, before it was fully contained at around 2:19 p.m.

Probers have yet to determine the cause of the fire while estimated damage to property was pegged at around P150,000.  (Alexandria Dennise San Juan)

Ex-cop robs P 50,000 from live-in-partner in Caloocan

An ex-policeman took advantage of his sleeping live-in partner and stole around P50, 000 from the girl’s house in Caloocan City on Wednesday.

Police Inspector Ysmael Reyes identified the ex-cop as Ronnel Alinso, 25, while his live-in partner was identified as Ana Joy Guzman, 30, nurse.

Initial investigation showed that at about 5 p.m., Guzman was sleeping inside her house along Asuncion Street, Barangay 143, Bagong Barrio, Caloocan City, when Alinso had the chance to steal her money.

Ging-ging Caparas, counsin of Guzman, said she saw Alinso getting the money from her cousin’s drawer.

Caparas told investigators that Alinso immediately fled after he took the money.

Reports said that Alinso and Guzman decided to live together at Guzman’s house for a few months.

Alinso, an ex-policeman went absent without official leave (AWOL) in 2015, police said.

Follow-up investigation is now underway to know the whereabouts of Alinso. (Kate Louise Javier)

Man stabbed dead in Manila

An evening wake turned bloody when a man was stabbed to death right outside a barangay hall in Sta. Ana, Manila Wednesday evening.

The fatality, Teofilo Soriano, 51, was declared dead on arrival at the hospital after suffering from multiple stab wounds while the suspect Elmer Salinas alias “Bibot”, 56, is still at large.

CCTV footage from the area showed that a group of people were playing cara y cruz at a wake at Arellano Street where the victim and the suspect were seen watching. Salinas later left and returned with two knives, going after Soriano.

He repeatedly stabbed Soriano causing the victim to fall, while bystanders helplessly watched, too afraid to help since the suspect was wielding two bladed weapons.

Soriano desperately tried to protect himself by blocking the attacks with a chair. One bystander even threw a chair at the suspect but to no avail. Salinas walked away for a moment, but came right back and started stabbing again the victim.

Moments later, a barangay kagawad came and pulled the suspect away from Soriano. The kagawad then brought Soriano to the hospital on a tricycle but the victim later succumbed.

According to the victim’s wife, the two may have confronted each other at the wake where they were drinking.

Barangay officials claimed that the suspect was previously jailed for murder and that cara y cruz had always been a recurring cause of fights in the area. (Glendel Nazario)

 

Tags: , , , , , ,

Related Posts