Eight dead at Florida nursing home, governor pledges full investigation » Manila Bulletin News

Manila Bulletin Philippines

Breaking News from the Nation's leading newspaper

Tempo

Online Newspaper

Showbiz and Celebrity News

Sports News

World News
News Asia

The Nation's Leading Newspaper

Saturday, September 23, 2017 29° Cloudy

Eight dead at Florida nursing home, governor pledges full investigation

Published

By Agence France-Presse

Eight residents died at a Florida nursing home which has been without power since Hurricane Irma and the state governor vowed a full investigation Wednesday into what he called an “unfathomable” event.

The nursing home deaths brought the total number of storm-related fatalities in Florida to 20 and illustrated the urgency of restoring electricity to millions of people across the southern state.

Hollywood police chief Tomas Sanchez addresses the media outside a Florida nursing home where eight residents died. The home had been without power since Hurricane Irma. (AFP / MANILA BULLETIN)

Hollywood police chief Tomas Sanchez addresses the media outside a Florida nursing home where eight residents died. The home had been without power since Hurricane Irma.
(AFP / MANILA BULLETIN)

Around 115 residents of the retirement home in Hollywood, north of Miami, were immediately evacuated after a nearby hospital began receiving patients suffering from heat-related problems.

“It’s a sad event,” Hollywood police chief Tomas Sanchez told a news conference. “We believe at this time they (the deaths) may be related to the loss of power in the storm.”

Governor Rick Scott said he was “absolutely heartbroken” to learn of the deaths of the elderly retirees.

“I am going to aggressively demand answers on how this tragic event took place,” Scott said in a statement. “Although the details of these reported deaths are still under investigation, this situation is unfathomable.”

The governor said he has ordered a probe by state authorities.

“If they find that anyone wasn’t acting in the best interests of their patients, we will hold them accountable to the fullest extent of the law,” he said.

Sanchez, the police chief, said a criminal investigation had been launched.

The Sun-Sentinel newspaper, citing the Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office, said the eight people who died were between the ages of 71 and 99 years old.

Dr. Randy Katz, medical director of the emergency department at Memorial Regional Hospital, said the hospital began receiving patients early on Wednesday.

“(We) quickly identified some issues inside the facility with fire rescue and immediately evacuated the building,” Katz said.

He said most of the patients admitted to the hospital have been treated for respiratory distress, dehydration and heat-related issues.

Florida officials have made restoring electricity to the millions who have lost power a priority and tens of thousands of utility company workers, many from out of state, are engaged in the huge effort.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Related Posts