By Francis Wakefield
Dismissing the claim by the extremist group ISIS that it was responsible for the explosion in Quiapo as “pure propaganda,” the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Sunday said that “the incident “was just an isolated case” and had “nothing to do with the summit currently being held in Metro Manila.”
In a statement, AFP spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla, said that when it comes to ISIS, truth is never a value they treasure.“Let us not dignify such pronouncements. The group will claim anything that serves their purpose,” Padilla said.
On Saturday, ISIS news outfit Amaq News Agency announced that the extremist group was behind the explosion of a homemade bomb that left at least 13 people injured.
The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), said the improvised pipe bomb was placed under a vendor’s stall near the corner of Quezon Boulevard and Soler Street.
The AFP earlier said that there was no need to add additional troops on the ground following the explosion.
The PNP also ruled out terrorism and said that the incident might be connected to a gang war in the area recently.
“Initial reports coming from the Philippine National Police indicates that the incident is ‘gang related’ and so far we see no need to add (men) for our security preparations,” Padilla said.