By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
President Rodrigo Duterte is poised to sign the Executive Order (EO) on the nationwide smoking ban, Tuesday, March 7.
Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol said Duterte expressed his intention to sign the said EO during the 13th Cabinet meeting Monday afternoon.
“[The President] said he will sign it tomorrow,” Piñol, who was present in the said meeting, said.
Piñol added that Duterte told Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Paulyn Ubial that he will sign the said draft EO as is.
“He told Secretary Ubial to stick to the draft EO which DOH prepared,” he said.
DOH first submitted a draft EO for the nationwide smoking ban, based on the same one being implemented in Davao City last October, 2016.
It was supposed to be signed by the President as early as last year but Ubial admitted that the first draft they submitted to the Office of the Executive Secretary ‘got lost’.
“It has been reviewed by the legal staff of the Executive Secretary. But when we followed it up with the office, it seems they lost a copy,” she added.
If implemented without changes, the EO states that cigarette smoking is set to be prohibited in all public places in the country much like what is being implemented in Davao City.
Then-Mayor Duterte was known to aggressively implement an anti-smoking ordinance in Davao City.
The implementation of the smoking ban, meanwhile, was widely supported by netizens. Even self-confessed smokers commended the President’s effort to promote health and reduce air pollution.
(With a report from MB Online)