By Argyll Cyrus B. Geducos
President Duterte said he will offer a P1-M reward in cash to anyone who can pinpoint the whereabouts of the three National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agents allegedly involved in the killing of a Korean businessman Jee Ick-joo, if they fail to surrender within 24 hours.
Duterte, in a late night press conference in Malacañang, ordered NBI director Dante Gierran to do anything to make the involved agents surface within 24 hours.
He was also about to offer a P5-M reward in cash to anyone who can bring PSSupt. Rafael Dumlao to Camp Crame or even in front of the Malacañang Palace dead or alive, and without him asking any questions.
However, he only found out during the press conference that Dumlao had already returned to Camp Crame Sunday afternoon and is ready to ‘tell all’ about the abduction and killing of businessman Jee Ick-joo.
Jee was kidnapped from his house in Angeles City, Pampanga last October 2016 by around eight men including three police officers and three NBI agents and was reportedly killed inside Camp Crame the same day. His remains was then brought to the Gream Funeral Services in Caloocan City and was reportedly cremated afterwards.
According to Duterte, he is enraged by the issue because Dumlao tarnished the reputation of the Philippine National Police, an institution he claimed to be ‘corrupt to the core.’
“I am offering P5-M reward, cash, para kay Dumlao. Dead or alive. It will take effect pag hindi ka sumuko in 24 hours ‘pag ‘di ka sumuko (I am offering P5-M reward, cash, to anyone who can bring Dumlao, dead or alive. It will take effect if you don’t surrender within 24 hours),” Duterte said before he learned that Dumlao had already surrendered.
“Bakit malaki? Kasi [expletive] sinira mo ang pulis. Galit ako kasi pati ako napahiya (Why is the reward big? Because you tarnished the PNP. I am enraged because even I got embarrassed).”
Duterte also revealed that PNP director general Ronald Dela Rosa offered to resign in relation to the killing of Jee. However, he declined Dela Rosa’s resignation because it will contribute nothing to the progress of the case.
“The scalawags will continue with or without Bato,” he said, adding that around 40 percent of the police are used to corrupt practices.
Dela Rosa, during the same press conference, said he offered to resign because he wanted to give the President a free hand to choose someone else for the position who can do the job better.
“I wanted to give the President the free hand to choose somebody to replace me and do the job as expected. I don’t want to add more embarrassment to the country,” he said.
Dela Rosa also admitted that the case has affected the credibility of Oplan Tokhang.
Meanwhile, Dela Rosa said he will do his job to the best of his ability and hopes not to fail Duterte and the Filipino people.
Tags: Camp Crame, Dead or alive: Duterte offers reward for NBI agents involved in kidnap-slay of korean businessman, Jee Ick-Joo, kidnap-slay, Manila Bulletin, NBI director Dante Gierran, P1-M reward for NBI agents, Philippines, PNP, PSSupt. Rafael Dumlao, South Korea