By MB Online
National Artist for Literature Virgilio S. Almario has been elected as the new chairperson of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts.
Almario will be leading the NCCA Board of Commissioners from 2017 till the end of his term in 2019 and will be replacing former chair Hon. Felipe M. de Leon, Jr..
Joining Almario in the NCAA Board for 2017 are the following:
- Hon. Paolo Benigno A. Aquino IV, Chairperson of the Senate Committee on Education, Arts, and Culture;
- Hon. Evelina G. Escudero, Chairperson of the House Committee on Basic Education and Culture;
- Hon. Alberto T. Muyot, Undersecretary of the Department of Education; Hon. Falconi V. Millar, Undersecretary of the Department of Tourism;
- Hon. Rene R. Escalante, OIC Chair of the National Historical Commission of the Philippines;
- Hon. Jeremy R. Barns , Director of the National Museum;
- Hon. Yolanda E. Jacinto, Officer-in-Charge/Assistant Director of the National Library of the Philippines;
- Hon. Victorino M. Manalo, Executive Director of the National Archives of the Philippines;
- Hon. Raul M. Sunico, President of the Cultural Center of the Philippines;
- Hon. Teddy O. Co, Commissioner of the Subcommission on the Arts;
- Hon. Alphonsus D. Tesoro, Commissioner of the Subcommission of Cultural Communities and Traditional Arts;
- Hon. Orlando B. Magno, Commissioner of the Subcommission on Cultural Dissemination; and
- Hon. Marichu G. Tellano, OIC-Executive Director of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts
Almario, also known as Rio Alama, is a poet and literary historian. He was declared as a national artist in 2003.
He has published 12 poetry books in a span of three decades. Some of his influential works include Makinasyon and Peregrinasyon, and his famed trilogy Doktrinang Anakpawis, Mga Retrato at Rekwerdo and Muli, Sa Kandungan ng Lupa.
Prior to his appointment as NCCA chair, Almario served as NCCA Executive Director (1998 – 2001). He also serves as the chair of Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino (KWF).
Tags: 2017, Manila Bulletin, National Artist for Literature, National Artist Virgilio Almario elected as new NCCA Chair, National Commission for Culture and the Arts, NCCA Board of Commissioners, NCCA Chair, Virgilio Almario